Downtown Patriots have always known the best ways to party. Long before the New Age of Downtown our busy metropolis seemingly all but shut down after dark. Yet, within our city’s ghost town, life did exist. Life. Sometimes off in the distance surrounded by industrialism, or deep within an underground dwelling, high above the earth on rooftops or even in some dusty warehouse, but still yes, Old Downtown was alive. An afterlife so to speak, in the form of an underground hospitality scene that kept a steady stream of partygoers venturing the streets of DTLA in the midst of the night, crossing paths few would dare, having a splendid good time and returning home with tales of elation.
Bestowed upon them by our hospitality forefathers, Downtown was a chance to drink within speakeasy settings unbothered by modern-day interior fancies that took patrons back, way back, to a time of a less explored Downtown where nothing was forbidden.
Today, in the New Age of Downtown, when it comes to finding that favorite cocktail atmosphere consisting of that perfect intoxicating mix of friends and foes we have more than enough hospitality venues to choose from and with New Year’s Eve bringing us a 5 Day Weekend there will be no better place to party than in the DT. Here are 21 Ways to Drink in the New Year, 2018.
21. DTLGay at Precinct – There are gay bars and then there are gay bars and once again Downtown has got one of the best. Highlights: Hidden dancefloor, Special Guest DJ’s, Speakeasy type entrance, empty windows and black paint. The Precinct is the largest of gay bars inside the pink triangle of the DT with a full bar, hefty crowd, year-round drag shows and other designated nights of entertainment. At Precinct boys will be boys and divas will be divas. 357 S Broadway, Los Angeles, California 90013. www.precinctdtla.com
20. Exchange LA – This historic building was once The Los Angeles Stock Exchange Building built in 1929. At eleven stories Downtown is most concerned with the party opportunities given to us on the first second and third floors. Hosting year-round events with lines that wrap around the block, Exchange LA is one of the most well-known nightclubs hosting electronic and cutting-edge performers in Downtown Los Angeles. This NYE, Insomniac Events presents New Year’s Eve: Gareth Emery (Extended Set) inside of 25,000 square feet of laser beam spectacular. 618 S Spring St. Los Angeles, CA 90014. www.exchangela.com
19. Le Petit Paris – Within the historic Stowell Hotel, Fanny and David Rolland have made Classic French cuisine the ultimate dining experience, winning time and again for best Downtown Dining ambiance. LPP will be celebrating New Year’s Eve with a New Year’s Eve countdown, balloon drop, live jazz with Dan Olivo and dance party with DJ Yann Muller. 418 S Spring St, Los Angeles, CA 90013. lepetitparisla.com
18 . The Lash – Looks like there’s going to be some thrashing at The Lash this New Year’s Eve with Picture Plane featuring the Lash signature cocktails, shots, and dueling dancefloor DJ’s Danny Lethal, Matthew Pernicano, LULO, and DJ Hurricane. Bring your gothy best and try not to get bit. 117 Winston St, Los Angeles, CA 90013. thelashsocial.com
17. Tom George – TOM GEORGE wants to invite you to the best night of your life, so get ready for the TG Experience welcoming you at your arrival with a sweet glass of prosecco to go with their 5-course menu. Towards the evening they will break out the champagne + Amuse-bouche and you guessed it, another 5-course menu featuring lobster ravioli and your choice of 8 oz Filet Mignon, mushroom duxelles, salsify OR Parmesan foam. spinach gnocchi, black truffle OR Halibut, celery root puree, preserved lemon salad. Already full? TomG host “THE PARTY” with guest DJ, premium bar and bottle service from 10:30 – 2 am! 707 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90017. www.tomgeorgela.com
16. Cafe Pinot – If it’s true what they say about the LA Library being a beacon for the Illuminati then that must mean DTLA’s illuminated secret society gets to pleasure themselves with the sweet decadence that is Cafe Pinot. Underneath the all-seeing eye, Cafe Pinot’s courtyard dining and floor to ceiling glass windows offer a relaxing retreat of live music and delicious entrees of California French-inspired within layers of Downtown’s historic and abundant financial empire. 700 West 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA, 90071. https://www.patinagroup.com/cafe-pinot/
15. The Regent – Need NYE plans? nothing goes better with NYE shots than Das Bunker’s HUGE party featuring VNV Nation and Aesthetic Perfection! They’ll be throwing down all night, so come dance away and throw down some shots during the last moments of 2017. 448 S Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90013. www.spacelandpresents.com
14. Standard Hotel – Young and Hip and ready for a Dip? Well, New Year’s Eve at The Standard, Downtown LA! will keep you bouncing through the night with multiple rooms of music featuring DJ sets from Dirty Dave & Friends in the lobby. From the bottom to the top the Standard is all about great views, moonlight, ping pong, biergartens, waterbeds, and bikinis. Dance, drink, swim, sleep, it’s all there for you at the Standard Hotel. “Cuz after the party, it’s the after party and after the after party the hotel lobby.” – R. Kelly – 550 S Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90071. www.standardhotels.com
13. WestBound – Let it Go! Westbound is the perfect place to sit back, unwind and enjoy old-fashioned hospitality. Located in downtown LA’s thriving Arts District, on the site of the original 1893 Santa Fe Railroad’s La Grande Station Westbound offers an array of cross-cultured craft cocktails and serves simple, fresh and seasonal small bites in an environment inspired by luxury railcars of past & present. This NYE Frozen themed bounces house all night long with reservations for their signature roast dinner and a champagne toast. 300 S Santa Fe Ave n, Los Angeles, CA 90013. westbounddtla.com
12. Clifton’s Republic – Clifton’s is back and better than ever if you’re looking for a four-level, moon rocked, hidden speakeasy and NYE cocktail meet and greet extravaganza. The New Clifton’s is the Disneyland of cocktail bars with this year’s NYE’s MIdnight in Paris Celebration. Eat all you can, the Marketplace Cafeteria will be open 8pm-midnight for food and beverage purchases and Celebrations promise to climax in a midnight crescendo of tantalizing delights. 648 South Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90014. www.cliftonsla.com
11. Ace Hotel – Nothing brings in the New Year like burlesque. And this year, Ace Hotel will host one of the world’s best – with DITA VON TEESE’S NEW YEAR’S EVE GALA SHOW held at the Theater at Ace Hotel. Built-in 1927 by Charlie Chaplin, the theater is fully restored with all the flair of Castle Dracula within its Spanish Gothic exterior and interiors patterned after the Segovia Cathedral in Segovia, Spain. 929 South Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90015. acehotel.com/losangeles
10. The Edison – Usher in the New Year with an experience as hot as an old 1920s boiler room. Ring in the New Year with the electric sounds of Parlor Social while aerialists take to the air with death-defying acts of wonder. Feel the excitement walking with giants while they stilt their way through the crowd and don’t forget to ask a fairy for a shot of absinthe. Still one of Downtown’s most cherished cocktail wonderlands brought to you by the imagination and million dollar investments of Andrew Meieran. 108 W 2nd St #101, Los Angeles, CA 90012. edisondownwown.com
9. El Compadre – Celebrate with your familia, well, at least Downtown’s favorite Godparents this year in South Par? with the traditional Mexican Cuisine and Flaming Margaritas of El Compadre. Located across from Staples Center and the LA Convention Center, El Compadre gets its share of sports fans and they invite you to celebrate as a member of your favorite team as part of their NYE sportsman costume fiesta. 1248 S Figueroa St #101, Los Angeles, CA 90015. www.elcompadredtla.com
8. Redbird – NYE at the Redbird, because, its voted one of the best restaurants in Downtown History – in all of history perhaps. This New Year’s Eve Redbird’s East Room and West Room, located on the second floor, will offer hors-d’oeuvres and complimentary drinks with entertainment provided by Moët Hennessy and a special guest DJ. In addition to the party, a special New Year’s Eve four-course dinner in Redbird’s Main Dining Room that Old Acquaintances will never forget. 114 E 2nd St, Los Angeles, CA 90012. redbird.la
7. Club Elevate – One of Downtown’s best-kept club secrets. Club Elevate is located on top of the world with entire walls that open to expose the night sky and surrounding buildings of the City encouraging us to dance, lounge and drink our way into 2018. NYE at Elevate host a JAMES BOND costume themed party Sunday, December 31st with sounds provided by DJ E-Kid & DJ Eddie Traxx. 811 Wilshire Blvd #2100, Los Angeles, CA 90017. elevatelounge.com
6. 213 Hospitality – The list of 213 Hospitality bars keeps growing and growing. Now with over two dozen bars scattered around Downtown Los Angeles, 213 bars easily fill with regulars anxious to bring in the new year within 213’s clever mix of nostalgia and spirited themed atmospheres. Allow yourself to be transported to the realms of Whiskey, Rum, Tequila, and Beer, as 213 bars exist between the world that once was and the future of cocktail enlightenment for the people of Downtown. www.213hospitality.com
5. Guilia – Ready to find out what happens when Brazil meets Italy? New Year’s Eve will never be the same once the Brazilian White Party comes to celebrate with us. Price of the ticket includes an Open Bar and best of all, its a white party, so everyone will be using their best table etiquette as to not drip Guilia’s famed Italian spaghetti sauce on their wears before the countdown. 701 W 7th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017. https://www.giuliadtla.com/
4. Prank – Start off New Year’s where you left off at Prank’s “Hangover Brunch” open at 11 am followed by Pranks NYE Sparkling POP Special which includes a sidebar buffet, open beer, wine and bubbles for 3 hours starting at 9pm-Midnight. Enjoy LIVE MUSIC featuring Rod Castro and the entire cast of Prank Bar including Lucky the Great. Seems Prank expects us all to be drinking all weekend leading up to Sunday’s 2017 finale. And that just goes to show just how much they really know us. 1100 S Hope St, Los Angeles, CA 90015. prankbar.com
3. Skyspace – 71 Above – So….we kinda love our rooftop bars here in the DT. There’s nothing like a panoramic view of America that can be seen at the top of the OUE Building and no better menu to go with it. Make dinner reservations early this year, because at 950 feet above ground level Chef Vartan Abgaryan is flying high offering you the ultimate dining environment. 633 W. 5th Street, 71st Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90071. www.71above.com/
2. The Perch – Take the elevator to the top of the Pershing Building overlooking Pershing Square and nest yourself on top of the Historic Core this New Year’s Eve at Perch. This year they will offer a 4 course Prix Fixe dinner, a bubbly bar, live music by Theo Katzman, plus DJs Victoria Van Damn and Monalisa spinning late into the night. Outdoor fireplace, full bar and memories to last all of 2018. 448 S Hill St, Los Angeles, CA 90013. www.perchla.com